Blogger Widgets

Wednesday 6 February 2013

PINEAPPLE ROLLS

The past weeks I had wanted to bake this pineapple tarts or pineapple rolls or whatever you wanted to call it.... I was in thinking should I buy the ready made store bought pineapple filling or should I go ahead to make my own.  Well, the store bought definitely is very sweet and this is why I hesitate to buy it.

Well in the end, when Sonia  posted her best melt in the mouth pineapple tarts, it just make me wanted to make it too .... Moreover, oh...shy to say ..... the Kumquat Nastar Rolls which I made earlier, I almost finished munching away....
  



PINEAPPLE ROLLS 
Recipe sourced from Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover

Ingredients
350g butter
100g condensed milk
510g plain flour / all purpose flour
2 egg yolks

1 egg yolk +1tsp milk, for egg wash

700g Pineapple filling (homemade or store-bought)

Method
1. Cream butter and condensed milk till light.
2. Add in egg yolk one at a time, and beat until combine.
3. Mix in flour, mix till become a soft and not sticky dough.
4. Roll pineapple filling into ball (8g each) and roll dough into ball (10g each).
5. Flatten a piece of dough and place a piece of the roll pineapple filling in the middle. Bring the

    edges of the dough together and press lightly to seal. Roll it in between your palms to shape it 
    into a roll.
6. Cut few lines on the pineapple balls to create pineapple pattern, apply egg wash with a brush.


OR 
    Put dough into a Nastar mould and press out into strips about 5-6cm long.  Place pineapple 
    filling on the edge of a strip and make a small elongated roll 

7. Bake in preheated oven at 165C (fan forced) for 23mins or till golden brown.
8. Cool on wire racks before storing.
 

For Homemade pineapple filling

1.5kg pineapple flesh (from ripe pineapple but not over ripe) , process finely in a food processor

(do not add water)
250g coarse sugar (adjust accordingly)

Method
1. Cook pineapple flesh together with the juices in a wok over medium low heat until water
    reduced, stir from time to time.
2. Add in sugar and cook over low heat till thick, stir from time to time, takes about 1 hour.



Initially I wanted to make the same like Sonia's the (enclosed version) but I had a hard time folding the pineapple filling into the dough and end up the rest of the pineapple in nastar rolls instead.




I love this pineapple tarts or pineapple rolls ..  yummy and delicious!

I am glad I make my own pineapple filling because I can adjust the sugar to my preference.





                  I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by
                                                     Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover


Thank you Sonia ....this is very yummy!





This post is also link to the event Little Thumbs Up organised by









30 comments:

  1. Mel, your pineapple tars are perfectly baked. I like the golden brown colour. Same brushing method as almond cookies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther
      Oh,..this pineapple rolls I only brushed it once and not same like almond cookies.

      Delete
  2. ohh I also bookmarked this recipe... But I suppose I'll keep this for a while because pineapple tart is really time consuming. I have to be in the mood to make.

    Yours look so perfect. I like the roll one...I have never make roll one before ...I must try to make the roll shape one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if after CNY you still can make this since this is really yummy. Yes, I agree with you, we must find the right mood to bake else it wont turn out perfect.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mel, I like the beautiful golden hue of your pineapple tarts, so pretty! I have seen Sonia's too and has bookmarked this recipe for my next round of baking, probably next year:P Too time consuming to be doing this often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie
      Thanks for your kind words. Well, if any day you feel like eating pineapple rolls you can just start rolling out....no need to wait till next year. Because this is yummy.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mel! Yes, I (wife) was very tempted to try that recipe from Sonia too... But we are done with the CNY baking this year...

    Definitely keeping this for future baking reference!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok...remember to make this next year...real yummy.

      Delete
  5. Mel, I think if you don't bake this one, it's like it isn't the actual celebration, isn't it, haha! I want each of both please, the "tart" and the "roll!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you are right, without pineapple tart it like no complete for the CNY. You think you can find time to make this now that Ethan has start school. Maybe weekend lor...

      Delete
  6. Mel, you are still baking? Wow, your pineapple tarts are so golden and perfect. I think is is better to make your own pineapple filling. I will have to KIV this recipe for next year hah! hah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more baking already for this few days....maybe next week if I find some free time.

      Delete
  7. I like both of these golden delicious tarts. But the roll version is my favorite! I've bookmarked this recipe too but don't have time to do it . I've only made some easy CNY cookies as over here the choices of CNY cookies are limited! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kit
      It is good to make cookies our own and we can adjust the sugar to our liking. Do try this one day.

      Delete
  8. Your pineapple tarts look so good, Mel. Wishing you and your family a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mich.....Happy New Year to you too. Have an enjoyable celebration and holiday.

      Delete
  9. you finally made my all-time cny fav! i've always been afraid to make pineapple tarts esp nastar rolls.. till i caught the pineapple tart rounds at sonia's, and i thought "hey, maybe it's do-able ^^".. i even found a tin of condensed milk in the cupboard! perfect! now where to find ready-cut ripe pineapples??? ^^ wish i could make nastar rolls 'cos i think they taste and look so much better ^^ your pineapple rolls are perfect ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hui
      I find the nastar rolls type is much more easier that the others though it could be a little messy. Buy that mould with that push out type instead of the other one with pushing with your thumb. One elongated can make 3 rolls. Maybe fatty hub can help to cut the pineapple for you? How's that? Wish I stay next door to you so I can help you out.

      Delete
  10. A truly original recipe!
    If you have a minute, please check out my blog and follow me if you liked it. I'll appreciate it so much! Thanks!
    www.francescainthekitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know you love kumquat, Mel, but I love pineapples. Those look so good. My father-in-law used to order pineapple cookies for us and they were so good. I must really try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adora
      In fact I loves both kumquat and pineapple ....for CNY pineapple tart/rolls are a must. If you are making your own pineapple filling jam, do cook it together with cloves and cinnamon to give a little aroma in. I opted that in this recipe.

      Delete
  12. Mel, Thank you for your shout out..glad that you like this pineapple tarts. I do agreed this recipe is just perfect for Nastar..Wishing you and your family a Happy CNY and Gong Xi Fa Cai ! do you go back to your hometown to celebrate CNY?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonia
      In face I had some fun time making these in nastar rolls..... I dont have a home town eventhough I am from Kampar Perak. Family members all in Auckland NZ now. Hope you will have a wonderful New Year this year...Ulalala...

      Delete
  13. good evening mel, your pineapple tarts are so perfectly shaped! seriously, they look very nice! i always love the pineapple in nastar shape. Happy holidays and gong xi fa cai to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mel,

    Can you link this post with us at Little Thumbs Up, pineapple event?

    All you need to do is to 1) mention Little Thumbs Up in your post and link back to Bake for Happy Kids or/and my little favourite DIY 2) submit your details on my most recent pineapple tart post and your link will be on my post :D

    Cheers!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel,

      No worries! I have already submitted the link for you. If you wish to participate our future events like our bake-along or Cook like a Star events. You may wish to know that all you need next is to click an icon with "Add your link" with the little frog face and submit your details accordingly.

      If you are interested to blog hop in the future, I can help you step by step so that you can have all our links at your blog too. Cheers!

      Zoe

      Delete
  15. Did I wish you Happy Chinese New Year yet? Maybe I haven't...so Happy CNY! I hope you and your family had a nice celebration. I'm not sure if I can get pineapple filling so I might need to make it from scratch, but this is now on my list. Though, I have to lose a lot of weight before I make this... I know I'll hug the jar/container to sleep to make sure I get my share... my kids love these too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mel, your pineapple rolls look good. Nothing beat the homemade even thou it's time consuming.

    Have a nice day ahead,regards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mel,
    Your pineapple tarts still got stock ka??
    I bet all gone by now..heehee
    Your made your so pretty, golden and i know it is definitely delicious..

    mui

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mel,
    Thanks for linking your pineapple post to LTU event.
    Hope to see your link again this month..= )

    mui

    ReplyDelete